"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Friday, July 29, 2011

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....

Life is what we make of it.   Each day brings to us new offerings which open the doors to our discovery and growth.   Reach out for them and grab a hold, even if something seems a bit strange or against the norm.  If we close our minds without experiencing life’s offerings, we will miss out.  They are there to enrich us in our journey.  We should be striving to learn something new every day. 

1.  Dates:  “Dates are Nature’s Candy.”  Well, they certainly are my candy!  When I’m in the mood for something sweet, I pop a date into my mouth.  Explain to me how someone would rather eat a chemical infested candy bar than a date.  Have you ever tried a Medjool date?  They taste a bit like caramel.  If you stop eating refined sugar, your taste buds will desensitize and you will actually taste the sweetness in nature’s fruits.  Once you taste how delicious dates are, you will not want the super sweet stuff.  I buy organic medjool dates from either Whole Foods or Wild by Nature.
Medjool Dates

2.  Organic Cotton & Bamboo Clothing:  I just love the soft and cozy feel of organic cotton.  We have been wearing synthetic fabrics for way too long that we forgot how nice organic cotton and bamboo fabrics feel on our skin.  Not only that, they are breathable fabrics that possess antibacterial properties.  When it is excruciatingly hot outside, our skin can freely get the air through the fabric which allows us to sweat naturally. (http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=2216076119636682072&postID=8072371061218150846) Organic clothing is available for men, women, children and babies.  You can do a search online and find a nice selection.  Would you believe I purchased this outfit at the grocery store?  Yes, Wild by Nature in East Setauket had the natural fabric manufacturer Jonao (http://www.jonano.com/).  I just dressed up the outfit with a belt, shoes and my grandmother’s vintage butterfly necklace.
Organic Cotton & Organic Bamboo Clothing



3.  Cucumber Water:  Thanks to my friend Natalie, I’ve been sipping filtered water garnished with a chunk of cucumber every day this summer.  It is absolutely the most refreshing drink I’ve ever had.  I prefer it to lemon water.  The cucumber has high levels of silica which is great for your bones.  In addition, the silica keeps your hair, nails and skin supple.  Just make sure there is no waxy film on the cucumber.  Opt for an organic cucumber and don’t peel off the skin.  This is my new water of choice.  Thanks Natalie!
Cucumber Water

4.  Antique Books:  I love old books!  There is so much wisdom and knowledge to be gained by reading other people’s thoughts, both fact and fiction.  Years ago, I acquired a complete set of Harvard Classics from 1910.   In addition, I also have a complete set of Dickens novels and some Shakespeare.  Also, I enjoy browsing old book stores. (http://innerbeautyworkshops.blogspot.com/2011/07/book-lovers-paradise.html)  Pretty cool huh…..
Antique Books

5.  High John:  Several weeks ago, I stumbled across a congregation in Sayville called “The Silver Broom.”  As I was walking around the gift shop, my eye wondered upon a basket full of small items.  I instinctively picked one up and written on the little bag was “High John.  Helps to overcome obstacles and achieve goals.  Also protects against negative energies and curses.  Good for love spells and similar magic.”  With my interest completely peaked, I walked over to the sales lady to make an inquiry.  She told me that the dark brown nuggets that look like walnuts inside the plastic bag was a dried root vegetable called High John, a close relative of the sweet potato family and a member of the morning glory family.  You don’t eat it, but put the root in some olive oil, where it will fuse its scent into the oil.  This oil is called High John the Conqueror named after John the Conqueror, an African American prince who was sold as a slave in the Americas.  He became known as a hero and a man of incredible strength.  After the High John has fused in the oil for approx six weeks, you can rub it on yourself to attract protection, money, courage and love.   Hmmmm….what’s coming my way……?????

High John Oil/High John



REFERENCES:





No comments: