"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Valentine's Heart Cookies

Life is not a box of chocolates for me…. literally!  I guess I’ll have to settle for teddy bears & roses.  Oh and I cannot forget about diamonds.  After all, diamonds are a girl’s best friend.  "Yes, Mr. President….diamonds... I don't mean rhinestones... but diamonds... are a girl’s best... best friend.”


Okay, I had my fun.  There are a lot worse things in life than being allergic to sugar cane (see previous blog post http://innerbeautyworkshops.blogspot.com/2011/02/igg-allergy-test-sugar-cane-allergy.html) Since I cannot have any chocolate for Valentine’s Day, I needed to come up with a satisfying alternative.  Fortunately, I’m not allergic to honey so I can use that as a substitute. 
Today, I’m sharing a recipe with you for a Valentine's Heart Cookie with Raspberry Jam.  The cookie is sweetened with honey only.  It has no white flour or refined sugar.  In addition, I have omitted the egg white from the recipe, since I tested high for that as well.  In its place, I used freshly squeezed lemon juice.  My first thought was to use a cookie cutter to give the cookies its shape.  However, that didn’t have the desired effect I wanted so I just free formed the heart shape myself.  I think they came out great and tasted awesome as well.
VALENTINE'S HEART COOKIES
½ cup butter
1/3 cup honey
1 egg yolk
½ tsp. vanilla
1 ¼ whole wheat flour or freshly ground flour
¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
Juice of half a lemon
Fruit filling (raspberry or strawberry)  Look and make sure there is no cane sugar.  It should be fruit sweetened)

Cream together butter, honey, egg yolk and vanilla.  Add freshly ground flour and mix well.  Chill for 1 hour.  Roll dough into balls.  Dip balls into lemon juice then roll in walnuts.  Use your fingers to shape dough into heart shape with indentation. (see photo)

Bake at 375 degrees on greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes.  Cool and fill with fruit filling.

These cookies freeze really well.   I keep them in the freezer and take one out whenever I need to satisfy my sweet tooth. 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!

Jeanne said...

I was a lucky recipient of a Heart Cookie and I can tell you all that they indeed are yummmmmmie!!! In fact, the jam was very sweet! I will be making them for my family this weekend, I hope they turn out as well!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully I will get one when we meet Wednesday (even though Valentines Day is over)