"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Monday, December 27, 2010

Yia Yia's Spinach Tarts


I have made a resolution for the upcoming 2011 year to complete an ebook with recipes I inherited from my grandparents.  My Uncle recently mailed me their complete collection handwritten on cards in various tins. 

My grandparents, who were both 100 percent Greek, enjoyed cooking and always ate very healthy.  When I was a young adult, I would sit at my grandparents' breakfast nook and copy down family heirloom recipes, which I, in turn, prepared for my own family during the holidays.  Even though these recipes are very old, delicious and very healthy, I still need to “tweak” them a bit.  Why??  It is because the ingredients that my grandparents used 80 years ago were much better in quality than the exact same ingredients used today.  Therefore, I need to change or modify some of the ingredients to preserve the healthy integrity of the recipes.  My ebook will contain the original recipe my grandparents’ used as well as my updated version.  I will include a list of reasons for the changes in ingredients.  This will enable you to understand my thinking as well as teach you how to adapt or amend your own recipes to make them healthier.   Today I’m going to share with you one of my favorites – Yia Yia’s Spinach Tarts!
I so enjoy making these spinach tarts during the holidays.  You can make them in advance and keep them in the freezer.  They are the perfect appetizer! 





INNER BEAUTY WORKSHOPS
APPETIZER

 

YIAYIA’S SPINACH TARTS – Original Version
YIAYIA’S SPINACH TARTS – Inner Beauty Workshops Version
For the Filling:
1 (10oz) pkg. frozen spinach
1 egg beaten*
¼ tbsp. chopped onion
½ teasp. Salt*, pepper to taste
1 cup feta cheese
¼ cup butter
2 tbsp. grated Romano

For the Tart Shell:

1 (3oz) cream cheese softened
½ cup butter, softened
1 ½ cup flour*

Place spinach on paper towels and squeeze until barely moist.  To prepare the filling, combine in large bowl next six ingredients with the spinach.  Mix well.

Cream until smooth the three ingredients for the tart shell.  Shape into 30 (1 inch) balls.  Shape them into ¾ inch muffin pans.  Add filling in each tart shell.  Bake in preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until done.  Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.  Keep in freezer until ready to reheat in oven or serve immediately.
For the Filling:
1 (10oz) pkg. frozen organic spinach
1 egg beaten (from a pasture raised chicken)*
¼ tbsp. chopped onion
½ teasp. Sea salt*, pepper to taste
1 cup goat feta cheese
¼ cup raw butter
2 tbsp. grated Romano, preferably raw cheese

For the Tart Shell:

1 (3oz) raw cream cheese softened
½ cup raw butter, softened
1 ½ cup flour – whole wheat preferably freshly ground.

Place spinach on paper towels and sqeeze until barely moist.  To prepare the filling, combine in large bowl next six ingredients with the spinach.  Mix well.

Cream until smooth the three ingredients for the tart shell.  Shape into 30 (1 inch) balls.  Shape them into ¾ inch muffin pans.  Add filling in each tart shell.  Bake in preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until done.  Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.  Keep in freezer until ready to reheat in oven or serve immediately.
*It is important to look for frozen ORGANIC spinach to avoid the pesticides in conventional spinach.  When shopping for dairy items for this recipe, please look for the best quality, organic or raw preferred.  This will enable you to avoid the hormones and antibiotics in these items.  I never buy table salt, always opt for sea salt.  Instead of using white flour for this recipe, it can taste just as good with freshly ground wheat flour.  That way you retain the bran and germ of the grain as well as all the nutrients.

I absolutely love this recipe and will be making them again for New Years!!  Keep a look out for my ebook in late spring.  Enjoy!!



No comments: