"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring Cleaning Sans Pine Sol

I have a friend who used to tell me that she enjoyed when the cleaning lady came because she loved smelling Pine Sol after she left.  The scent of Pine Sol is what she associated with “clean.”  I’m sure her house was spic and span, however, that nice Pine Sol scent is actually fumes of chemicals resembling the scent of Pine.  According to the Clorox Company, who makes Pine Sol, only 10 percent of the product is actually pine oil.  Some varieties contain zero pine oil.  What are the remaining ingredients?..... alkyl alchohol ethosylates, sodium petroleum sulfonate and isopropanol. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine-Sol)  What in the world are these?  I won’t even try and guess.  I could look them up, but why bother? 
I didn’t realize that Pine Sol has been around since the 1920’s.  It is a multi-purpose cleaner with a variety of purposes.  You can use it to clean just about anything; floors, bathrooms, basements, etc.  Did you know that if you use it at full strength, it could even strip acrylic or oil paint enamel from small items! 
I decided to take a look at the company data sheet (http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/msds/pinesol/originalpine-solbrandcleaner.pdf) for additional information on the product.  The company warns that you should wash your hands if you come into direct contact with the product.  I guess in addition to the expense of the product, I should add an extra $2 for the purchase of gloves.  I hope I don’t trip over the dog because it may spill directly on me.  In that case, I better wear really old clothes because I won’t want to get my nice clothes ruined.  Actually, the company data sheet also says that if you get anything on your clothing, you must change your clothes.  Hmmm….extra laundry for me!
The fumes created from Pine Sol can be a danger to pets, especially cats.   The fumes from the product can evaporate in the air and create respiratory problems in your pet.  If the fumes cause problems in your pets, what do you think they do to a small child?  The company warns if you immediately inhale fumes, to remove yourself to fresh air.  The company also warns to use an exhaust to minimize exposure to product mist.

Can I ask you, what’s wrong with using just plain old vinegar and water to clean?  You don’t have to worry because the fumes are NOT toxic to animals, children or anyone for that matter.  You won’t have to worry if you forgot to buy gloves at the store and, if you spill any on your clothes, you do not have to change.  If you use vinegar and water, you can even clean your furnace in a dress and high heels!   (Men can try a tux…lol.)  There is no harm in the smell of vinegar and it dissipates rather quickly.  Best of all, a gallon of vinegar only costs $1.99! 

Repeat after me:  Clean has no scent!  Clean has no scent!  Clean has no scent!  I had to write that three times so you understand that fumes emitted from chemicals is NOT clean!  How about this spring, throw out the Pine Sol!  Oh wait, the company warns to “dispose of in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.”  ……………………..:/

(This is my opinion, protected by my First Amendment Right of Freedom of Speech)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I never really thought about all the chemicals that we put into our home when we "clean." Definitely, "food for thought" so Thank You.

Elinor said...

In the "good old days" my mom's cleaning lady and mine cleaned with vinegar and water, a chamois cloth. and Comet and Ajax in a can (no sprays). That is how I learned to clean but now I have every cleaning product known to man.

Diane said...

So very true.....and remember Lestoil?? Add it to your automobile oil stained laundry to lift out the oil.....what does that tell you?? I don't use any of that stuff anymore......and you look like a modern day version of those "olde tyme" cleaning commercials. P.S.....love the shoes!

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY AGREE,I DONT EVEN LIKE TO WALK DOWN THE CLEANING SUPPLY ISLE IN THE MARKET. WE ALWAYS AVOID IT. IT MAKES OUR NOSE BURN, WE CALL IT THE TOXIC ISLE. PEOPLE WASTE SO MUCH MONEY ON THOSE SUPPLIES THEY DONT EVEN NEED!

Anonymous said...

Pine Sol fumes have put me in the emergency room and in the hospital overnight. No docor knew what the problem was. So many expensive medical tests were taken with no hints of the cause of my total LOSS OF BALANCE. Recently, a neighbor told me of her life changing suffering and many doctor visits over the last year due to DIZZINESS. I asked her if she had been using Pine Sol and indeed we discoveree that each time she used thes product over the past year she experienced what everyone thught were mini strokes! The great smell of Pine Sol CONTAINS NEUROTOXINS!

Anonymous said...

Pine Sol fumes have put me in the emergency room and in the hospital overnight. No docor knew what the problem was. So many expensive medical tests were taken with no hints of the cause of my total LOSS OF BALANCE. Recently, a neighbor told me of her life changing suffering and many doctor visits over the last year due to DIZZINESS. I asked her if she had been using Pine Sol and indeed we discovered that each time she used this product over the past year she experienced what everyone thoght were mini strokes! The great smell of Pine Sol CONTAINS NEUROTOXINS!

Anonymous said...

just dropping by to say hi

Anonymous said...

Attгactive seсtion of сontent. I simply stumbled upοn уоur ѕite and
in accessiοn cаpital to claіm that I get actually lοved
account youг weblоg ρosts. Anyway I ωill be subѕcribing to уour feeds аnd evеn І fulfіllment yоu get
admіssion tο constantlу quickly.

Fеel frеe to vіsit my web-sitе: cash advance