"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hurricane Sandy-A lesson learned


As you know, Hurricane Sandy made landfall early Monday evening.  Here on Long Island, we had over 80 mile per hour winds which took down power lines.  Schools have been closed all week as crews work on the clean-up.  Look what happened at my parent’s house:
Tree on powerlines at my parent's house.  Hurricane Sandy

 

I was much luckier.  Only one piece of siding blew off my house and we only lost power for three hours.  My parent’s and some of my close friends are still without electric power.  I feel completely blessed!

If this blog post is a bit late, it’s because I lost my cable connection.  I’ve had no internet and no television for the entire week.   I have to say it was hard at first because I didn’t realize how much time I spent on the internet.  I felt like I lost my favorite blanket or something, “Just call me Linus.”   

 

How would I retrieve my business emails?  How would I post images on my various facebook pages?  How would I get any research done?  How would I work?  Life came to a standstill for me as I struggled to figure out how to get things done.  I tried to make a written list so I wouldn’t forget the many things that I needed to do.

 A few days later, the realization hit me that my house was starting to look a bit cleaner.  I had the chance to see one of my best friends whom I haven’t seen in a while. (She came over to shower.)  Since my parents had no power, they moved in with me which gave me the opportunity to spend more time with them.  I finished the book that I was reading that seemed to be taking forever to finish.  A few assignments that I needed to finish were completed.  And…here I sit writing this blog; yet another item on my list that I will soon be able to cross off.

I have learned a very valuable lesson; that my time is important and that there is actually enough time to get things done.  There is a saying that “the devil’s time is idle time.”  I now realize how much time I have spent doing mindless drifting online when I could have been completing tasks and enjoying some of the better things in life.  Budgeting my time will be a new priority.  This will enable me to accomplish so much more and my life will be fuller and richer.  Can you shut your internet off for one week?  Will you become Linus?  What would you do with all that new found free time?


Back in action and making some soup
 

Christine Segal is a Certified Holistic Health Coach having studied at Integrative Nutrition. She also holds a Master’s Degree in Education. She hosts a weekly radio show on health and wellness on Freedomizer Radio called “WakeUP and Live.” Please visit her website at www.innerbeautyworkshops.com for more information. Christine works with clients in person or via telephone. Please write her for a consultation Christine@innerbeautyworkshops.com.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soup, when is Dinner!