"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Why prevention is the best defense against the flu…


It’s that time of the year again.  No...I’m not referring to the holidays; I’m referring to the onslaught of signage and newspaper articles recommending a yearly flu shot.  Everywhere we look, we are bombarded with reminders to have that injection.  It insults my soul to see banners on the road advertising for this.  I cannot begin to describe how much this bothers me.  So much so, that I find myself knocking over signs whenever I am near them. 

Yes!  I knocked this one down!  And...I'm proud of it!
 

I decided to pay a visit to a Riteaid to find out what the ingredients were in the flu shot.  After all, why would anybody subject themselves to an injection not knowing what was in it?  I kindly asked the woman behind the counter and was handed a piece of paper from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/Center for Disease Control and Prevention which discussed potential reactions to the flu shot, not the ingredients.  I kindly informed her that this does not list the ingredients.  She then handed me the package insert which also contained no list of ingredients.  I left disillusioned and decided to try CVS.

I approached the woman behind the counter and was again handed the Vaccine Information Sheet from the CDC.  I kindly told her that this does not contain the ingredients, can I please have a list of the ingredients.  She told me that the vaccine contained H1N1, H3N1 and BTexas 6 2011.  She then said rather uncomfortably, “If you are wondering whether or not the vaccine contains thimerosal, it has a trace.”  I then looked at her and said, “How can you give an injection when you have no idea what is in it?!”

Am I losing my mind!  What is wrong with people?  How can we be so trusting to allow someone to inject something into our bodies when THEY don’t even know what is in it?

Want to prevent the flu?  Build up your immune system!  It is important to stay away from sugar and processed foods that are laced with chemicals.  How can your body fight germs if it has to constantly work to rid itself of chemicals?  It is important this time of the year, if you live in a colder climate, to take Vitamin D3 supplementation.  To find out how much you need, ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D3 levels and suggest the dosage you should be on.  In addition, an extra dose of Vitamin C will help the body increase the number of infection-fighting white blood cells. 

Here are some home remedies that can help:  Lemon and honey, chamomile tea, peppermint tea, elderflowers, ginger, turmeric, probiotics or how about a bowl of homemade chicken broth.

Lastly, please get fresh air!  This is something you need to do year round.  Staying in an enclosed area for long periods of time is detrimental to your health.  Who cares if it is cold outside!  Suck it up and open your windows!

Enjoying super fresh air in Vermont!
 

Christine Segal offers workshops or telephone coaching. Please email Christine@innerbeautyworkshops.com for details.

 

1 comment:

liz59 said...

I totally agree, Christine! :)
-Lizzie