"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Friday, November 5, 2010

INNER BEAUTY WORKSHOPS RECYCLES……………





When I was a young child, my family used to take many car trips.  When I think back on those days, one destination in particular always sticks out in my mind, driving to visit my grandparents’ house in Delaware.  The reason is not why you think.  Now obviously I have fond memories of those times spent with my grandparents, but more so when passing through New Jersey, my eyes would widen in disbelief as we passed large piles of trash.   My brothers, sister and I knew exactly when to roll up the car windows as we pinched our noses from the smell of those piles.  It is sad, but true that even 30 plus years later, the sight of all that garbage, piled high, still upsets me.  What a waste!    It is mind boggling how much trash even one person can generate, and what I’ve come to realize is that most things do NOT need to be thrown out.  Most items can be REUSED in some way.   For example, the scraps from fruits and vegetables can be saved, turned into compost and used as organic fertilizer in a garden.  Ideally, there is no reason to throw out much of anything.  Okay, maybe just dirty tissues, but that’s about it.  To reuse and repurpose items may require some imagination.  It is so much fun turning someone else’s trash in your treasure.  I love being able to do my part in helping to protect the environment.

It is out of my experiences as a child, and my research as an adult that I have adopted the policy, at Inner Beauty Workshops, of buying as much second hand items as I can for the business.  I must admit it is fun, as well as challenging to find the perfect used items.   I have found that one great place to find second hand items is on Craigslist.  I have learned once you see a listing for a particular item, you must act fast, as most items go rather quick.   I was lucky enough to find a fax/copier machine, file cabinet and office chair at a business in Bohemia that was consolidating its offices.   They also sold me some office incidentals such as file folders, calculator, stapler and even a box of paperclips.   I filled up the entire back of my Toyota Highlander.  The best find for me on Craigslist was a set of 20 chairs that were located in Brooklyn.  Okay, it was a bit of a drive, but well worth it.  I was charged only $9 a chair!  Aside from Craigslist, I also really enjoy visiting tag/yard sales.  Recently, I was lucky enough to spot an antique-Victorian styled birdcage for only $15.  It is a great decorative item, and I may repurpose it as a planter. 

Craigslist and tag/yard sales are all respectable avenues to find second hand items, but I have to make a confession.  I have done some trash picking.  My brother likes to call it dumpster diving, but in my case, it is picking through the red recycle cans of my neighbors.  Basically, I was looking for labels from food containers for my workshops.  Hopefully, the neighbors were not looking out their windows.  Wink Sometimes, you can find treasures in places you never thought you would go.

As much as possible, paper generated by Inner Beauty Workshops will be come from recycled materials.  Why should some trees be cut down so I can print out some brochures and advertisements that most people will just throw into the trash?  I have no problem spending a few extra dollars (that I saved from buying second hand items) and applying it toward buying recycled paper.  Also, to further help our environment, Inner Beauty Workshops will not be using any paper goods.  Clients will use drinking glasses and cloth napkins, if necessary.  Even the smallest details of this company will work towards making our earth a better place, therefore at Inner Beauty Workshops, even the toilet tissue will be from recycled materials.Smile

I am proud to run a business that acts responsively toward the environment.   As the business grows, I will continue to seek out ways to do my part and recommend to others to do theirs.  

No comments: