"For each of us there is some mission in life if we but find it. All have some definite thing to do, something for which they have been created; and only the doing of this thing will justify their existence here on earth. If we come into the world and occupy space and time without giving back for this privilege, we have not justified ourselves, and our lives in the end are barren." ~ Hay

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year’s Resolution – “Black” out the old, “Color in the new”

Happy New Year!
How would you like to join me in making a New Year's Resolution?  This year (2012) I have decided to no longer purchase any articles of clothing in a solid black color.  Why you are probably wondering?  Here is the definition of black:

Black – Lacking hue or brightness, characterized by absence of light, enveloped in darkness.
 Black clothing, a sign of mourning…..

My grandmother NEVER wore anything black unless she was heading to a funeral.  When I was a teenager, I once wore a solid black top to her house.  She didn’t like it and told me that “black was not an everyday color.”  My mother doesn’t wear anything black either.  She has NEVER purchased a black article of clothing and she is 74 years old!  However, she does own a black coat and boots but that is only because I purchased them for her as gifts.  I don’t know how I fell into the trap of purchasing black clothing because it wasn’t a color I wore much as a young adult.  Now, when I span my closet, the dominate colors I see are black & gray with only a spattering of color.  The clothes in my closet look drab and it doesn’t make me want to get dressed.  I would rather stay in my pajamas since they are usually bright and colorful. 
Say "Goodbye" to solid black this year
We should always strive to look our best.  Every article of clothing we wear either improves our appearance or detracts from it.  Clothes provide a background for our personalities.  They say a lot about you and how you feel about yourself.  Clothing gives us confidence! (I knew there was a justification to my shopping habit besides stimulating the economy!)
Why are we purchasing black when there is a rainbow of color to select from?  Although modern industry has given us numerous shades and hues, there are three primary colors from which virtually all other colors are formed.  These are red, yellow and blue.  If any two of these colors are mixed, the resulting color will be the complement of the remaining color.  For example:
·         Blue & yellow mixed form green, which is the complement of red.
·         Yellow & red mixed form orange, which is the complement of blue.
·         Red & blue mixed form purple, which is the complement of yellow.
Gray is formed by mixing black and white or mixing all three colors: red, yellow & blue.
Also
·         Blue, green and violet are cool colors which signify dignity, peace and deliberation
·         Red, orange and yellow are warm colors which signify action, cheerfulness and energy.
When you wake up in the morning, why not select colors based on your mood or what you are doing for the day.  If you are attending an event, you may want to wear something blue or green.  If you have a date, you may want to select something red.  If you are a man, how about selecting a brown, tan or gray suit? 
Please note that I am talking about SOLID BLACK, which is O-U-T!  Black can be an effective color with touches of other colors like red, blue or yellow.  Black is also very grounding and a touch of it looks great in an outfit because it gives your eyes a rest.   We all have the advantage of selecting our own clothes.  We get to decide what colors look good on us and what colors don’t.  This is a fun New Year’s Resolution!  When you shop, look more closely at what you are purchasing.  Don’t just pull any item off the rack and purchase it, evaluate it first.  Try it on and see how it makes you feel.  Ask yourself, does it enhance your complexion or detract from it?  Does it brighten your face?  Does it look slimming?  (Pay close attention to the cut of the garment.) What is your general mood when wearing the item?  Sometimes I head to the dressing room with 7 dresses and end up purchasing 1, if I’m lucky.  I don’t settle.  I look for what I think looks the very best on me.  It can be frustrating at times in searching for the right article of clothing but the extra effort is worth it because you will feel like a million bucks when stepping out!
 Join me this year in wearing color!!
Let's toast "color" in 2012!


REFERENCES

Inner Beauty Workshops classes are beginning January 3rd.  Please email me for details or visit www.innerbeautyworkshops.com




No comments: